Making small changes in your everyday life can have a big impact on the environment. There are many ways that you can reduce the amount of waste your household produces by making some simple and easy swaps that will not have a huge impact on your lifestyle but can be big contributors to a healthier planet. When it comes to zero waste living, one of the easiest places to start is in the bathroom because it is full of single-use plastic products that can easily be swapped for plastic free alternatives. This blog post will offer our suggestions for 10 simple swaps everyone can make to get closer to a zero waste bathroom!
- Disposable razors are full of plastic and are terrible for the environment. Try switching to a safety razor. Safety razors last forever and produce way less waste.
- Make the switch to soap bars instead of body wash. Bar soap is definitely more sustainable than liquid body wash, which comes in single-use plastic bottles. Not to mention, it often works out to be cheaper as well! You can find some great artisan all natural soap bars fee of harsh chemicals here.
- Investing in some reusable cotton rounds instead of using the disposable ones for taking off makeup or cleaning your face will be a great help to our planet. If you want to take it one step further in the fight for a cleaner environment, make sure that you invest in cotton rounds that are using responsibly harvested cotton free of harmful pesticides. Check out these organic reusable cotton pads we offer.
- Swapping the conventional plastic brush for a wooden hair brush is another easy and eco friendly swap. Most conventional hair brushes are made with plastic, which isn't great for the environment. A wooden hair brush is a sustainable alternative that will also be gentle on your scalp.
- and 6. Using shampoo bars and conditioner bars instead of the traditional shampoo and conditioner in disposable plastic bottles is also an easy swap to make. This eco friendly swap is even easier to make when you have great salon quality paraben free shampoo and conditioners bars for different hair types. They are just as effective (if not more!) than traditional shampoo and conditioner. Plus, you'll feel good about using less plastic. These plastic free shampoos and conditioners are available here.
- Switching to a Plastic free deodorant is another great way to eliminate additional plastic from your life. You can find aluminum free deodorant in most health food stores, but unfortunately, they often come in plastic tubes. It is a little harder to find natural deodorant in a glass jar or paperboard tube that are good better for the environment and your armpits because they do not contain the harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances or perfumes often found in traditional deodorants. Very good quality plastic free natural deodorants can be found here.
- Switching your plastic toothbrush for a Bamboo toothbrush is probably the easiest swap. Did you know that you're supposed to replace your toothbrush every three months and that the average toothbrush takes 500 years to decompose? Yikes! That's a lot of plastic waste in a lifespan of a human. Bamboo toothbrushes are a sustainable alternative that will help reduce your bathroom trash. They can be found here.
- Making the switch to compostable floss is another great way to reduce the plastic in your bathroom. There are lots of brands that make compostable floss now that also come in plastic free packaging, which is great news for the environment. You can find it in most health food stores and we also carry it here.
- Another option to reduce the plastic waste in your bathroom is to switch to a Reusable menstrual products: disposable menstrual products are not only bad for the environment, but they can also be expensive. There are plenty of reusable options available, like cloth pads or a menstrual cup.
We hope you found this list helpful! Even some very small changes can add up and end up making a big difference when it comes to sustainability. What swaps have you made in your own life? Share with us in the comments below!